There are many measurements of the human body that are positively correlated. For example, the length of one’s forearm (measured from elbow to wrist) is approximately the same length as the foot (measured from heel to toe). They are positively correlated because, as one measurement increases, so does the other measurement.
You will discover through this project whether a human’s arm span (measured across the body with the arms extended) is correlated to his height.
You will need to collect data from 11 people, which will give you 12 data points including your own personal data. You will turn in and answer questions regarding only one scatter plot if doing the project alone.
Part One: Measurements
1. Measure your own height and arm span (from finger-tip to finger-tip) in inches. You will likely need some help from a parent, guardian, or sibling to get accurate measurements. Record your measurements on the “Data Record” document. Use the “Data Record” to help you complete Part Two of this project.
2. Measure 11 additional people, and record their arm spans and heights in inches.
Part Two: Representation of Data with Plots
1. Using graphing software of your choice, create a scatter plot of your data. Predict the line of best fit, and sketch it on your graph.
2. Copy and paste your scatter plot into a word processing document.
Part Three: The Line of Best Fit
Include your scatter plot and the answers to the following questions in your word processing document.
1. Which variable did you plot on the x-axis, and which variable did you plot on the y-axis? Explain why you assigned the variables in that way.
2. Write the equation of the line of best fit using the slope-intercept formula $y = mx + b$. Show all your work, including the points used to determine the slope and how the equation was determined.
3. What does the slope of the line represent within the context of your graph? What does the y-intercept represent?
4. Test the residuals of two other points to determine how well the line of best fit models the data.
5. Use the line of best fit to help you to describe the data correlation.
6. Using the line of best fit that you found in Part Three, Question 2, approximate how tall is a person whose arm span is 66 inches?
7. According to your line of best fit, what is the arm span of a 74-inch-tall person?
06.06 Scatter Plots and Line of Best Fit
RequirementsPossible PointsStudent PointsStudent creates a scatter plot correctly according to submitted data.3
Student shows that the line of best fit goes through the center of the data.2 Student answers Question 1 correctly by determining which variable should be on which axis.2 Student answers Question 2 correctly, presenting a reasonable equation for the line of best fit given the data.3 Student answers Questions 3 through 7 correctly based on the data provided (2 points each).10
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.